Facial Hair Growth – How to Grow The Beard of Your Dreams
- 1 Facial Hair Growth – How to Grow The Beard of Your Dreams
Are you someone who dreams of growing the ultimate beard, some sick sideburns or a stylish moustache? In this article, we are going to look at ways that you can give your facial hair growth a kick start.
Unfortunately, much of your ability to grow facial hair comes down to genetics. However, while you can’t change your genetics, there are some ways to give your facial hair the jump start it needs to grow a thicker and more full beard.
It is important to remember that growing facial hair takes time, it is not something that happens overnight. Patience is the number one ingredient in getting the facial hair that you desire.
Commit Yourself to The Way of The Beard
The single biggest roadblock in your journey to grow out your facial hair is time. Many people give up before they have given their beard or moustache an adequate period of time to fully grow in.
Beards take three to four weeks (and sometimes even longer) to grow.
During this time you are going to go through different phases of facial growth that are in one word… annoying.
It is frustrating having to deal with the ‘scraggly phase’, the ‘patchy phase’ and the ‘itchy phase’. However, given time these phases pass and as slower growing hair follicles have time to grow, your beard will fill out more and more each week.
As your facial hair gets longer, it will become softer making it less itchy and scratchy.
It is important when growing a beard to:
- Commit – Don’t give up after a few days. After a few weeks you are still struggling, then and only then should you attempt some alternative methods (which we will get into below).
- Do not shave your facial hair just because it is getting itchy. Instead, try using an over the counter steroid cream like this to sooth the itch.
Just Chill and Leave your Beard Alone
When you begin to grow out your facial hair, just leave it alone. If you attempt to shape or trim your beard too early, it is more than likely you will take off more than you intended.
If you happen to do this, then it is back to the drawing board. It is better just to let your hair grow out. There will be plenty of time later to shape and trim once you are happy with the growth.
- TIP: As your beard grows, comb it in the direction you want it to go. This helps to get the look you are going for.
- If it is your first time growing facial hair then it is best to get your barber to shape your beard for the first time – this way you get to see how it is done.
Beard Oil – Your Best Friend
Beard oil is amazing. Not only does it style your beard, but it also moisturises the hair and the skin underneath.
If you have less hair than you would like, beard oil can work wonders and make what you do have look great.
- The best time to apply beard oil is first thing in the morning, right after your shower. At this time your pores will be open and will easily absorb the oil.
- Use beard oil in moderation. A small amount can go a long way. When used correctly it leaves your beard looking clean and smelling fresh.
Supplements for Facial Hair Growth
There are a number of supplements available that can help encourage your facial hair to grow.
- Folic acid is a supplement that can help to increase the thickness of your beard. Folic acid can be found in whole-grain bread and cereals, green leafy vegetables, peas, and nuts. Alternatively, it can be bought in supplement form and taken orally.
- Biotin is a B group vitamin that is incredibly important for keratin synthesis (growing hair). A deficiency can cause hair loss (on your head and face!). To read more about biotin click here.
Rogaine contains the active ingredient Minoxidil that helps kick start hair follicles and hair growth. It also thickens hair that is ‘peach fuzz’. If you are truly struggling to grow out your beard, then Rogaine is definitely an option you should try.
Growing a beard can be hard work. With time and possibly a bit of a kick-start from some of the methods above you will be rocking your new facial hair growth in no time!
If you have used any of the methods above, or know another method that works please let us know in the comments.